When first opened in 1979, Ryan’s Daughter announced herself as a “New Pub on an Old Spot”. There had been a bar at 350 East 85th Street since the Prohibition Era. During that time, it operated not so much as a speakeasy or gin-joint, but a local club. Official licensing came in the late 1930’s, as the “Old Stream.” This German-owned watering hole catered to the residents of Yorkville until the mid-1970’s. Then, in 1974, the Irish moved in. The “Old Stream” became the “Minstrel Boy,” founded by an Irish-born, retired NYPD officer.